Ohio American History & Genealogy


1816 Ohio Gazetteer
Achorstown to Avery

Achorstown, a post village in Columbiana County.

Adams, a township of Washington county.

Adams, a southern county, bordering on the Ohio River. It has Highland and Pike counties on the north, Scioto County east, the Ohio River south, and Clermont County on the west. It is about 28 miles long from east to west, and 25 broad from north to south. The land is generally uneven and hilly, and embraces a variety of soils from the best to the poorest. The principal waters are Brush, and Eagle creeks; both running southwardly into the Ohio River, which washes the whole southern borders of the county. It is divided into nine townships; and contains a population of 2083 freemen of 21 years of age and upwards: and allowing these to constitute one fifth of the whole, Adams County contains a population of 10,415 inhabitants. In the same year, the total valuation of property in the county, was 1,414,898 dollars. County seat West Union.

Adamsville, a small village of the above described county, situated on the Ohio River, just below the mouth of Brush creek, 18 miles southeast from West Union. It was formerly the county seat.

Addison, a township of Gallia county, containing 410 inhabitants.

Adelphi, a post town, situated in the northeastern quarter of Ross County, on the north fork of Salt creek. It contains about twenty dwelling houses, and two mercantile stores. Its distance is 16 miles northeast from Chillicothe, 20 southerly from Lancaster, and 40 south by east from Columbus.

Alexandersville, a village of Montgomery county, in Washington Township, on the east side of Miami river, 7 miles below Dayton.

Alexandria, a small town in Scioto County, situated on low ground, immediately below the junction of the Scioto with the Ohio River, the former of which separates this town from Portsmouth. It is 45 miles south from Chillicothe, and 90 m the same direction from Columbus.

Alum creek, a considerable, westerly branch of Big Walnut; and indeed is of nearly equal magnitude. It rises in the northeastern part of Delaware county, and after running in a southwardly direction 35 miles, into the southeastern quarter of Franklin county joins Big Walnut. Amanda, a township of Fairfield county. Amanda, fort. [See Fort Amanda.]

Ashtabula, a lake county, situated on the southern shore of Lake Erie, in the northeastern corner of the state, and adjoining the state of Pennsylvania. Its extent is 32 miles from north to south, by 25 from east to west: and it contains about 700 square miles. It has a population of about 3200 inhabitants. Its total valuation is 887,703 dollars. Ashtabula, Connaught, and the head waters of Grand River are the principal streams. It is divided into the thirteen following townships namely, Salem, Kingsville, Denmark, Wayne, Lebanon, Jefferson, Ashtabula, Wrightsburg, Austinburgh, Richfield, Windsor, Harpersfield and Geneva.

Ashtabula, a post township of the above described county.

Ashtabula, a small rivulet of the before described county, rising in its eastern parts, and running generally in a northwest direction, 20 miles into the south side of lake Erie, by a mouth four or five rods wide.

Athens, a large county in the southeastern part of the state ; bounded on the north by Fairfield and Washington counties, cast also by Washington county and the Ohio river, on the south by Gallia, and west by Jackson and Boss counties. It is 42 miles long from east to west, and 30 broad from north to south: containing 1066 square miles. The number of inhabitants is 3960: and the valuation 519,182 dollars. County seat Athens. It is generally a hilly, broken country: although it contains several tracts of level and very fertile land. Its principal waters are Hockhocking and Shade rivers, together with their various branches, beside the head waters of Leading and Raccoon creeks.

Athens, a post town, and seat of justice for the before described county. It stands on an elevated site, upon a peninsula formed by a large southerly bend of the Hockhocking River, which romantically meanders about the town. The situation is healthy, and being elevated, commands an extensive prospect of the surrounding country. The town stands on the northernmost of two townships of six miles square each belonging to the Ohio University. For accommodating this institution, a large and commodious college edifice of brick is now about being erected. But, as yet, only a small two story brick building has been erected: which is ultimately designed for a grammar school as an appendage to the University. In this building, a respectable academic school has been taught during several years past, and is still continued. But the systematic course of collegiate education, by the students being divided into four regular and permanent classes, has not yet been fully carried into operation, by the board of trustees, although shortly contemplated. Beside the college buildings, the town contains about forty dwelling houses, several mercantile stores, beside a court house and gaol; and several mills in its vicinity. Distance, 74 miles southeast from Columbus, 46 in the same direction from Lancaster, 41 westerly from Marietta, and 52 easterly from Chillicothe. North latitude 39, 23, West Longitude 5, 5.

Au Glaize, a large southern branch of the Maumee river, rising a few miles southerly from Fort Amanda, and thence running in a northwardly direction, into the Maumee, immediately below fort Defiance.

Augusta, a township of Columbiana county.

Aurora, a post township, situated in the northern borders of Portage County. It has been stated, that in the spring of 1814, the inhabitants of this township made seventeen tons of sugar.

Austinburg, a post township of Ashtabula County, situated immediately west from Jefferson.

Austintown, a township of Trumbull County.

Avery, a township of Huron County, in which is located the town of Huron, the future scat of justice for said county.

Back to the Index


Source: The Ohio Gazetteer or Topographical Dictionary, by John Kilbourn, A. M.,
Smith & Griswold Printers, Columbus, Nov. 1816



This page was last updated Tuesday, 23-Aug-2016 13:17:59 EDT.
All Rights Reserved

Commercial use of material within this site is prohibited.
This site may not be duplicated in any way without consent.

Copyright © 2016~2017 by Ohio AHGP