Ohio American History & Genealogy


1816 Ohio Gazetteer
Bainbridge to Byrd

Bainbridge, a small post town of Ross County, situated near the falls of Paint creek, on the old road leading from Chillicothe to Maysville in Kentucky. It contains about twenty five dwelling houses, three stores, a forge and some other mills. Distance, 18 miles west by south from Chillicothe, and 55 south by west from Columbus.

Barnard, a post township of Athens County.

Barnesville, a flourishing post town of Belmont County: in which is a steam mill.

Bath, a township of Green County.

Bat, Miami of the lake, or Maumee. [See Maumee Bay.]

Bat, Sandusky. [See Sandusky Bay.]

Bear Creek, an inconsiderable run, putting into the Ohio River in Clermont County.

Bear Creek, also another inconsiderable stream, running into the western side of Miami River in Montgomery County.

Beaver Creek, or Big Beaver, a considerable stream, rising in Portage County; which, after running 15 or 18 miles in a northeastwardly direction to Warren in Trumbull County, turns southeastwardly, and after running in that direction above 40 miles further, enters the Ohio River, within the limits of the state of Pennsylvania. It is also often called Mahoning River.

Beaver Creek, usually called Little Beaver, to distinguish it from the larger stream just described, is an excellent mill stream in Columbiana County, rising in the northern parts of that County, and after running generally in a southeastwardly direction 30 miles, falls into the Ohio River, just within the borders of Pennsylvania. It affords a vast number of excellent mill seats: many of which are already improved. And among numerous others, are two paper mills, besides several forges and furnaces.

Beaver, a trifling creek, in the eastern part of Huron County, running northwardly into Lake Erie.

Beaver, a township of Columbiana County.

Beaver Creek, the name of a creek, and also of a township in Green County.

Bell Brook, a town so called in Sugar creek township, Green County.

Belville, a new town of Richland County, situated on a west branch of Mohiccan creek.

Belville, also the name of a small town in Champaign County.

Belmont, a river County in the eastern part of the state. It is bounded on the north by Harrison and Jefferson counties, east by the Ohio River, south by Monroe and west by Guernsey counties. It is 27 by 21 miles in extent, containing 535 square miles. The name is somewhat descriptive, it signifies a fine, airy mount: and from the summit of the height of land in the central part of the County are some of the most extensive views anywhere to be found within the state. Belmont County contains 12, 195 inhabitants; and a valuation of 1,663,810 dollars. Seat of Justice St. Clairsville. It is generally a very hilly and broken tract of country; but contains some valuable land. It is watered by Indian Wheeling and Captina creeks; exclusively of the Ohio River, which washes its whole eastern borders.

Belpre, a post township of Washington County, on the Ohio River, containing a remarkably pleasant settlement extending several miles along the river. The name is derived from the two French words belle signifying fine or beautiful, and prairie a meadow; that is Fine Meadow; which name is truly descriptive of the local situation. The inhabitants of this town, as well as Marietta, arc emigrants or descendants of emigrants from Connecticut and Massachusetts, who removed hither, during and shortly subsequent to the year 1787; and a considerable part of whom were old revolutionary officers. Distance, 14 miles southwest from Marietta, and 100 southeast from Columbus.

Bennington, a township of Licking County.

Berkshire, a post township in the eastern part of Delaware County. Alum, and Little Walnut creeks water this township. The land is generally level and fertile. Distance 10 miles east by south from Delaware, and 23 north by east from Columbus.

Bern, a township of Fairfield County.

Bethel, a township of Champaign County, containing 580 inhabitants.

Bethel, a post town of Clermont County.

Big Indian Creek, a small stream running into the Ohio River, in Clermont County, four miles below Bear creek.

Big Walnut, a large easterly branch of Scioto River. It rises in the northeastern quarter of Delaware County; and after running in a southwardly direction above 40 miles into the southeastern quarter of Franklin County, receives a stream from the east called Black Lick, and almost immediately below, Alum creek from the west. With this accession of waters, it then, turning south west wardly, flows nine miles further into the Scioto River by a mouth fifty yards wide. It is here frequently called Big Belly. This stream and its various branches irrigate and fertilize perhaps as fertile and valuable a body of land, as any in the western country. In Sunbury, a little eastwardly from this stream, is a spring said to possess strong petrifying qualities. Even leaves of trees, after having lain some time in it, become completely petrified. Black Fork, a creek running into the west side of Mohiccan creek.

Black Lick, a stream rising in the northeastern quarter of Franklin County, and running adjacent to and nearly parallel with the eastern boundary of that County, in a southwardly direction, for 20 miles, enters the east side of Big Walnut 10 miles southeastwardly from Columbus. This stream, Big Walnut, and Allum creeks run almost to their junction, nearly parallel with each other, from north to south, about four miles apart.

Black River, a rivulet, rising in the southern part of Medina County. It runs in a northwardly direction across Medina County, and from thence forms the dividing line between Cuyahoga and Huron counties; and after running a total distance of 35 miles, empties into lake Erie.

Black Water, an inconsiderable stream in Pickaway County, running westwardly into Scioto River, 5 miles below Circleville.

Blanchard's Fork, a large eastern branch of the An Glaize River, in the Indian country.

Blannerhassett's, Island, a remarkably beautiful and fertile island of about 300 acres, in the Ohio River, opposite Belpre. It is so named from a Mr. Blannerhassett, an Irish gentleman of large fortune; who having, with his family, left Ireland, in 1801, purchased and removed to this island where he reared a costly and splendid edifice for his dwelling house. A considerable portion of the island was laid out into gardens, after the most approved models of European taste: and the whole scenery combined, seemed like the fabled fields of Elysium. But the house was most unfortunately burnt clown in December, 1810, and shortly afterward, the gardens were totally destroyed; and few or no vestiges now remain of its transient splendor and magnificence. The grandeur of this rural spot, sequestered from the turmoilís of European strife, rose in a few short months, exhibited itself to our astonished view, for a little time, and then, like the evanescent phantoms of night before the morning sun, almost as suddenly disappeared, resembling in its progress and termination, the effects of enchantment.

Bloom, a township of Fairfield County.

Bloomfield, a small post town of Pickaway County, laid off upon Walnut plains, on the road leading from Columbus to Chillicothe. Distance 17 miles south from Columbus, and 8 north from Circleville.

Bloomingrove, a township of Richland County.

Bloomingville, a flourishing post town and township of Huron County.

Boardman, a post township of Trumbull County, 10 miles southeastwardly from Warren in the same County.

Boat Run, a brook running into the Ohio River, in Clermont County. In the neighborhood is a post office, designated by the same name.

Boques Creek, a considerable stream, rising in the northeastern quarter of Champaign County, and running thence in an east by south direction, above 20 miles into the west side of the Scioto River, 5 miles westerly from the town of Delaware.

Boston, a township in the western part of Portage County, about 18 miles west by north from Ravenna.

Boston, new: a thriving post town of Champaign County.

Boughman, a township of Wayne County.

Boundary Line, the old line of demarkation established between the United States and Indians, at the treaty of Greenville in 1795, is frequently called by this name. It commences at a point on the Muskingum or Tuskarawas River, opposite the mouth of Nimishillen creek, at the northernmost point of Tuskarawas County; and from thence runs a west by south course* above 150 miles, to fort Loramie, and from thence a northwesterly direction 21 miles to fort Recovery, near the western limit of the state. North of this line, and west of Richland and Huron counties, the right of soil has not yet been purchased from the Wyandot and other tribes of Indians who possess it.

Bowling Green, a township of Licking County, immediately eastward of and adjoining that of Newark.

Bradshaw's, a place at which is kept a post office, 10 miles west from Morristown, on the road leading from Wheeling, in Virginia, to Zanesville.

Bristol, a township of Trumbull County.

Brookfield, a post township in the northern borders of Trumbull County, 15 miles north from Warren.

Brown, fort [See Fort Brown.]

Brown's Roads, a place at which is kept a post office, in the northwestern corner of Pike County, 24 miles west by south from Chillicothe.

Brush Creek, an excellent mill stream, rising in the eastern borders of Highland County. It runs in a serpentine, but generally southern direction across Adams County, a total distance of nearly 40 miles, and empties into the Ohio River, by a mouth 20 yards wide. In its channel are numerous rapids, which furnish valuable mill seats. Iron ore being abundant, in various places adjacent to this stream, several iron works and furnaces have been erected upon it, from which vast quantities of hollow iron ware are constantly made.

Brush Creek, another, but smaller stream than the former, running into the west side of Scioto River, in Pike County.

Buckskin Creek, a stream in the western part of Ross County, running southwardly, into the Rattlesnake fork of Paint.

Buckskin, the name of a township of Ross County, situated on the abovementioned creek.

Buffalce, a township of Guernsey County.

Bullskin, a small creek, putting into the Ohio River, in Clermont County.

Burlington, a small town of Belmont County.

Burton, a post township of Geauga County, 7 miles northeastwardly from Chardon.

Butler, a western County; bounded on the north by Preble and Montgomery counties, east by Warren, south by Hamilton counties, and west by the state of Indiana. It is 27 miles long from east to west, by 18 broad from north to south; containing 486 square miles. It is wealthy and populous; containing 11,800 inhabitants, and a valuation of 2,471,888 dollars. County seat, Hamilton. The land is mostly of an excellent quality for farming. Its waters are the Great Miami River, Dick's, Indian, St. Clair's, 4 mile and 7 mile creeks.

Butler, a township of Columbiana County.

Byrd, a township of Adams County.

* South 79 5 west.

Back to the Index


Source: The Ohio Gazetteer or Topographical Dictionary, by John Kilbourn, A. M.,
Smith & Griswold Printers, Columbus, Nov. 1816



This page was last updated Tuesday, 23-Aug-2016 13:17:59 EDT.
All Rights Reserved

Commercial use of material within this site is prohibited.
This site may not be duplicated in any way without consent.

Copyright © 2016~2017 by Ohio AHGP