Ohio American History & Genealogy


1816 Ohio Gazetteer
Cadiz to Cuyahoga

Cadiz, a post town and county seat of Harrison County, is a thriving town, containing above 40 dwelling houses, beside the public buildings of the county. Distance 25 miles westerly from Steubenville, 15 northwesterly from St. Clairsville, 42 northeastwardly from Cambridge, 65 east by north from Zanesville, and 110 in the same direction from Columbus. North latitude 40, 30. West Longitude 4, 4.

Caesar's Creek, an inconsiderable stream rising in Green County, and emptying into the east side of Little Miami River, in Warren County.

Cesar's Creek, also the name of a township in Green County.

Calcutta, a small village on the head waters of the Tuscarawas branch of the Muskingum River, in the northwestern quarter of Stark County.

Cambridge, a flourishing post town and county seat of Guernsey County. It is pleasantly situated on the eastern side of Wills creek, on the principal road leading through the state from east to west; and contains 47 dwelling houses and 6 stores, beside the court house and oilier public buildings. Across Wills creek, is built a toll bridge, 17 5 yards long; contiguous to which is a spacious and commodious inn, well adapted to the accommodation of travelers. Cambridge is 56 miles west of Wheeling in Virginia, 45 west from St. Clairsville, 25 eastwardly from Zanesville, and 85 east from Columbus. North latitude 40 4; West Longitude 4, 80.

Campaign Creek, a small, deep creek running into the west side of the Ohio River 8 miles above Gallipolis.

Canfield, a post township of Trumbull County 18 miles south by east from Warren. It is fertile, productive, and considerably thickly settled. It is 50 miles northwardly from Steubenville, and 170 northeastwardly from Columbus.

Canton, is a post town, and seat of justice for Stark County. It is situated in the forks of Nimishillen creek, in a fertile region of country, rapidly settling by enterprising emigrants from Connecticut and other states. It contains seven mercantile stores, and seventy dwelling houses, beside the public buildings. Here is also a printing office from which is published a weekly paper, and a bank. Distance northwest from Steubenville 45 miles, 90 northeasterly from Zanesville, and 140 northeast from Columbus. North latitude 40, 50, West longitude 4, 20. Canton, a small town laid out some years ago in Belmont County, on the west bank of the Ohio River opposite Wheeling in Virginia. It contains but a few houses, and is not flourishing.

Canton, land district of, includes part of Stark, and all of Wayne and Richland counties; and is composed of those XXI ranges of townships comprehended between the old boundary line on the south, and the Connecticut Western Reserve on the north, excepting the seven easternmost ranges, which belong to Steubenville district. The Indian title to this tract was not extinguished, until sometime after the treaty of Greenville in 1795; and the land is therefore often called "the new purchase." The office, for the sale of these lands, is kept at Canton, in Stark County.

Captina, a small creek about 17 miles in length, putting into the Ohio River, in the lower part of Belmont County, 23 miles, by water below Wheeling in Virginia. In a settlement upon this creek is kept a post office.

Carrying River, sometimes called Portage River, a rivulet 1 5 miles westwardly from the Sandusky, running northerly into Lake Erie.

Cats Creek Mills, a settlement in Washington County, in which is a post office.

Cedar, a small island in the western part of Lake Eric, near the estuary of Maumee Bay.

Center, a township of Columbiana County.

Centerville, a small town in the northwestern part of Fairfield County, on the road leading from Lancaster to Columbus ; and halfway, or 14 miles from each. Centerville, a post town in the southeastern part of Montgomery County, between the two Miainies, 9 miles southeasterly from Dayton.

Centerville, a township of Galia County, containing 470 inhabitants.

Chagrine, a township of Cuyahoga County.

Chagrine River, a rivulet running northwardly into Lake Erie, in the northeastern part of Cuyahoga County. Near the mouth is kept a post office.

Champaign, a large and wealthy interior county, bounded on the north by Indian lands, east by Delaware and Madison, south by Green, and west by Miami counties. It is 42 miles long from north to south, and 25 broad from east to west. It is descriptively named, from the generally level and champaign face of the country. Tart of the land is rather elevated and rolling, while much of it is low and wet. The soil is very rich and productive. The principal streams are the head waters of Mad River, Deer, Darby and Boques creeks. The county is populous and wealthy, containing 10,485 inhabitants, among whom are 2,097 voters; and a valuation of 2,445,557 dollars. It is divided into the twenty following named townships; Urbana, Bethel, New Boston, Mad River, Zane, Concord, Salem, Wayne, Jackson, Harmony, German, Pleasant, Jefferson, Goshen, Springfield, Harrison, Moorfield, Lake, Union and Miami. It also contains the towns of Urbana the seat of justice, Springfield, Boston, Mechanicsburg, Harrison, Bellville, Leesburg, Winchester and New York.

Champion, a village in Painesviile Township, Geauga County.

Chardon, is a post town and county seat of Geauga County. It is situated 12 miles southeasterly from the mouth of Grand River, and 160 northeasterly from Columbus: north latitude 41 36, west longitude 4 16.

Charleston, or Round bottom mills, a place in Hamilton County where is kept a post office.

Charlestown, a township of Portage County.

Cheshire, a township of Galia County, containing 305 inhabitants.

Chester, a township of Clinton County.

Chester, also a township of Knox County.

Chillicothe, a post town, and capital of Ross County, and, until recently, of the state, is handsomely situated on the west bank of the Scioto River, 45 miles in a direct line, and 70 according to its various meanderings, from its mouth. It is beautifully situated on the western borders of an extensive und fertile plain, of about 10,000 acres. It was first laid off in 1796, has had a very rapid growth, and now contains nearly 400 houses and 3,000 inhabitants. Here are likewise three printing offices, each publishing a weekly paper, two hanks, and 30 mercantile stores, among which, one is a wholesale store, and two book, and two medical stores. Here are also four cotton spinning factories, one of which goes by water, and the remainder by horse power: beside a rope walk. In addition, a large steam mill, is contemplated shortly to be erected. An oil, fulling, several saw, a paper, and several excellent merchant flouring mills, are in the vicinity of this town. Among the public buildings, are Presbyterian, Seceder and Methodist meeting houses, an academy, a court house and gaol, and two handsome market houses, all of which, excepting the court house which is of stone, are of brick. The market, which is held on Wednesdays and Saturdays, is well supplied with the various productions of the country. Chillicothe, like most other towns in the western country, is regularly laid out, with streets all crossing each other at right angles. From the summit of a hill rising very abruptly on the west side of the town, to the perpendicular elevation of 300 feet, is a most delightful view of the town and circumjacent country, interspersed, alternately, with woods and verdant lawns, among which the Scioto River romantically meanders, in its way to the Ohio. In the midst of the town, on the south side of Paint Street, lately stood a towering semi-globular mound, a stupendous remain of antiquity. But the owner or owners, preferring the pecuniary value of the ground tor building lots, to a preservation of it as a curiosity, have removed it for the purpose of erecting buildings on its site. Distance 45 miles south of Columbus, 34 south west from Lancaster, 70 south west also from Zanesville, 73 northeast from Maysville, in Kentucky, and 93 east by north from Cincinnati. North latitude 39 14, * West longitude 5. 53.

Chillicothe, old town; an old Indian town, 12 miles northwestwardly from the former town.

Chillicothe, also the name, sometimes discovered in antiquated maps, of an ancient Indian settlement on the Great Miami River; but of which no vestige now remains.

Chillicothe, land district of, is composed of the nine westernmost of the XX ranges of townships of the United States' Military or army lands, the Refugee tract, and the seven westernmost of the XXII ranges of townships of the United States military lands south of the Refugee tract; therefore extends to the Indian boundary on the north, to Zanesville land District and Ohio Company's purchase east, to the Ohio River south, and to the Scioto River on the west. It includes parts of Delaware, Knox, Licking, Franklin, Fairfield, Pickaway, Ross, Athens, Pike, Scioto and Gallia counties; but not entirely the whole of either. This district embraces perhaps as good and valuable a tract of country as is anywhere to be found of similar extent, whether reference be had to the face of the country, the climate, water, fertility and productions of the soil as a grazing country, or to the general advantages of its central position in the state. The office for the sale of its lands is kept in Chillicothe.

Chippeway, a township of Wayne County.

Cincinnati, is a large commercial town, situated on the north bank of the Ohio River, 20 miles from the mouth of the Great Miami River at the south west corner of the state, and opposite Newport in Kentucky. The town was laid off, in the year 1788 around Fort Washington, and settled by a number of emigrants from the New England states and from New Jersey; but did not extensively improve, until after general Wayne's defeat of the Indians in 1794: but subsequently to that period, it, together with the adjacent country, has rapidly progressed.
Cincinnati contained in July 1815, nearly 1100 buildings of different descriptions, among which are above 20 of stone, 250 of brick, and 800 of wood. Of these 660 are occupied as dwelling houses, the rest as stores, shops and out-houses. The population in 1815, was 6500. There are about sixty common mercantile stores, several of which do wholesale business, beside about 10 book, drug, iron and shoe stores. Among the public buildings are a Presbyterian, Baptist, Methodist and friends meeting houses, all of brick. That for Presbyterians has been recently erected, on Main Street; and is an elegant structure, 85 by 68 feet upon the ground, and 50 feet high to the cornices or eaves. The baptist meeting house is also a handsome building of 55 by 40 feet area.
The Lancasterian school house consists of two oblong wings 30 feet apart, each 80 feet deep, with a connecting building of 30 by 18 feet, which contains the stair cases leading to the second stories. One of the wings is designed for boys, and the other for girls.
Within two weeks after opening the school upwards of 400 children were admitted; and the building is calculated to accommodate 1100.
The court-house is a commodious building 62 feet long, and 56 broad; connected with which are the necessary offices made fire-proof. Here are three brick market houses, abundantly supplied; one of which has recently been built upon three rows of pillars, and is 300 feet long. The Cincinnati Manufacturing Company have erected for their works, an extensive building, 150 feet long by 37 broad, and 4 stories high; A most stupendously large building of stone is likewise erected on the bank of the Ohio River, for a steam-mill. It is nine stories high at the water's edge, and is 87 feet long, by 62 broad. The engine is one of a 70 horse power; and is designed to drive four pairs of stones, beside an oil, fulling and several other mills. In another building is also a valuable steam saw-mill. Here are likewise one woolen, and four cotton factories, two glass making establishments, a white lead factory, a sugar refinery, and two extensive breweries. And considerable business is also done not only in the distillation, but also in the rectification of spirits. Here are also two printing offices; each publishing a weekly paper; three banking companies, beside a wealthy commercial association, for the purpose of importing goods directly from Europe by way of New Orleans. [For a view of the practicability of turning the foreign trade of the western country through the Mississippi River, see the article Ohio River.]
Cincinnati was formerly the seat of the old territorial government. Distance, south by west from Dayton 52 miles, 115 south west from Columbus, 93 west by south from Chillicothe, and 82 north by east from Frankfort in Kentucky. N. latitude 39, 6. W. Longitude 7, 20.

Cincinnati, land district of, a district for the sale of Congress lands west of the Virginia military tract and of Symmes' purchase. It includes all Miami, Dark, Preble, Montgomery and considerable portions of Champaign, Warren, Butler and Hamilton counties, beside that portion of the state of Indiana lying easterly of a line drawn north by east from opposite the mouth of Kentucky River to Fort Recovery at the northwestern most corner of Dark County. This district is not, probably, excelled by any other in the state, in the fertility of its soil, especially for the production of wheat, and the number and goodness of the various mill seats abounding upon its almost infinitely numerous streams and rivulets. The land office is kept at Cincinnati.

Circleville, a lively post town and county seat of Pickaway County, lying on the east bank of Scioto River. It was laid off in the year 1810, within one of the old circular fortifications; from which circumstance it derives its name. The town plat, however, includes a square fort on the east, and adjoining the circular one, besides two streets encompassing both. The round fort consists of two circular, but parallel walls, whose tops are, apparently, about 50 feet asunder. There was originally but one regular opening or passage into the circular fort, and that was in the east side from the square one. The latter has seven avenues leading into it, exclusively of that which communicates with the circle: there is one at every corner, and one on each side equal distant from the angular openings. These avenues are each from 12 to 15 feet wide and the walls, on either hand, immediately rise to their usual height; which is above 20 feet. But the great road leading from Columbus to Chillicothe now runs directly across the middle of the circles from north to south; and this again is crossed, in the center, by another principal street running due east and west. In the center of the circle, at the point of intersection of these streets, is erected an elegant brick octagonal courthouse, 55 feet in diameter; which makes a conspicuous appearance. Near the courthouse, on the north, is a small market house. On the southwestern side of the circle, and immediately adjoining, is a conical hill, or eminence overlooking the whole town. Just beneath the brow of a hill bounding the plain, on the north, upon which the town is built, runs Hargar's creek, a small but valuable millstream. Circleville contains eleven mercantile stores beside numerous shops for various mechanical employments. As the rich Pickaway plains 3 miles to the south, and the no less fertile lands bordering upon Lower Walnut creek on the north, are in the neighborhood, it will most unquestionably become a wealthy town. For it is rich adjacent country, which affords permanent wealth to the point in which its trade is concentrated. Distance south from Columbus 26 miles, north from Chillicothe 19, and west from Lancaster 20 miles. North latitude 39, 36. West Longitude 5, 53.

Clair, fort. [See Fort St. Clair.]

Clairsville, St. [See St. Clairsville.]

Clay Creek, a stream of Jefferson County.

Clayton, a western township of Muskingum County.

Clear Creek, a small western fork of Mohiccan creek, in Richland County.

Clear Creek, the name of a creek in Fairfield County.

Clear Creek, also a township of Fairfield County.

Clear Creek, a small stream running into the east side of Big Miami River, in the northeastern corner of Butler County, just below the town of Franklin. Clear Creek, a township of Warren County.

Clermont, a river county bounded on the north by Warren and Clinton, on the east by Highland and Adams counties, on the south by the Ohio River, and on the west by Hamilton County. It is 30 miles long from north to south, and 26 broad from east to west. The county is divided into twelve townships, in which are situated thirteen towns, some of which are fast improving. The valuation of property in the county is 1,973,671 dollars: and in May 1815, it contained 12,240 inhabitants, and the number is fast increasing. A large portion of the land in this county is fertile and rich: although some parts of it are wet, and not very good for cultivation. Improved farms are selling from 6 to 30 dollars per acre: unimproved land from 2 to 8 dollars per acre. Seat of justice Williamsburg. The principal waters are Oak Creek, and a stream running westwardly into the Little Miami River, called the East fork. Clermont is generally an uneven, hilly county.

Cleveland, a post town, county seat, and commercial town of Cuyahoga County. It is situated on the southern shore of Lake Erie; and during the late war, it was a considerable depot for provisions and munitions of war, as also a place for building various kinds of boats, and other water craft, for military service on the lake. It is a considerably noted place of embarkation for various parts of the lake. Distance 54 miles northwesterly from Warren, 131 northwest from Pittsburg in Pennsylvania, and 150 northeastwardly from Columbus. North latitude 41, 31. West longitude 4, 44.

Cleves, a small settlement at the north bend of the Ohio River 16 miles westerly from Cincinnati, and 4 northeastwardly from the mouth of the Great Miami River.

Clinton, a county 20 by 20 miles in extent, bounded on the north by Green, on the east by Fayette, on the southeast by Highland, south by Clermont, and on the west by Warren counties. It contains 4,600 inhabitants; and a valuation of 714,680 dollars. It is divided into the five townships of Chester, Green, Richland, Union, and Vernon. Seat of justice, Wilmington. This being an elevated interior county, contains no large streams. Its principal waters are the brooks composing the sources of East, and Todd's forks, both eastern branches of Little Miami River. The soil of the land is generally good.

Clinton, a thriving little town on the east side of Rush creek in Richland township, Fairfield County, containing about twenty-five dwelling houses and three stores, beside several mills in the vicinity. Distance, 10 miles east by north from Lancaster, on the road from thence to Zanesville, and 26 southwesterly from the latter place.

Clinton, a post town of about 30 houses, in Knox County. It is situated on the north side of Owl creek, 1 1-2 miles northwesterly from Mount Vernon, and 44 northeastwardly from Columbus.

Clinton, a flourishing township of Franklin County, between Columbus and Worthington: containing 350 inhabitants.

Clinton, also a township of Knox County.

Coal Run, a small stream running into the east side of Muskingum River, 18 miles above Marietta.

Coitsville, a township of Trumbull County.

Cold Creek, a stream running northwardly through the western part of Huron County, into the south side of Sandusky bay, a short distance westwardly from the new town of Sandusky. This stream is a considerable curiosity. It rises about 8 miles southerly from Sandusky bay, in the western borders of Huron County. Its source is a large spring, covering, perhaps, half an acre of ground; and from which the stream flows sufficiently large to waft boats of a considerable burden, from and into the head spring itself. The waters are pure and flow through a beautiful tract of land.

Colerain, a township of Hamilton County, lying on the east side of the Great Miami River, 15 miles from its mouth.

Colerain, a township of Ross County.

College townships, are two tracts of land, each six miles square, situated in the center of Athens County, adjoining each other, the one on the north and the other south. Through the northernmost runs the Hockhocking River, adjacent to many parts of which, are several tracts of excellent land. The names of these townships arose from the circumstance of their having been granted as a donation to the College at Athens; the right of soil to which therefore belongs exclusively to said college. For a description of that institution, see the article Athens.

Columbia, a township of Cuyahoga County.

Columbia, a post town of Hamilton County, six miles easterly from Cincinnati. It is situated on the north branch of the Ohio River, 1 mile below the mouth of the Little Miami; and contains about 50 houses. Distance 115 miles southwest from Columbus, 88 west by south from Chillicothe, and 22 westerly from Williamsburg.

Columbiana, a large, fertile and wealthy County, in the eastern part of the state. It lies adjoining the state of Pennsylvania, and in a square form of 30 miles each way, excepting an area of about 36 square miles, which is cut off from the southeastern corner by a bend of the Ohio River. It contains 13,625 inhabitants, and a valuation of 2,034,315 dollars. It is divided into the 19 following townships, namely, Unity, Springfield, Hanover, Salem, Yellow creek, Knox, Wayne, Goshen, Butler, Fairfield, Green, Center, Augusta, West, Madison, St. Clair, Middletown, Beaver, and Elk run. Its inhabitants are Germans, Scotch, English and Irish. Columbiana County contains the ten following towns, namely New Lisbon the seat of justice, Columbiana, Salem, Fairfield, Petersburg, West Union, New Garden, Achorstown, Hanover, and New Alexandria. Little Beaver creek, together with its various branches, waters above half the eastern parts of the county. The land is mostly either hilly, or roiling: considerable quantities however, are level.

Columbiana, a small post town of the above described county, 8 miles northerly from New Lisbon.

Columbus, a flourishing post town, and capital of the state of Ohio. It is situated on the east bank of Scioto River, in the center of Franklin County; and within about 20 miles of the center of the state. It stands on a beautiful site of rising ground just below the confluence of the Whetstone with the Scioto River. It was laid out early in the year 1812. The inlots are 62 1-2 feet in front and 187 1-2 deep. They were first exposed to public sale on the 18th of June 1812, with the native timber then standing upon them; since which time the improvements have been rapid and extensive. It now contains about 200 houses and 1300 inhabitants. There are also four or five common English schools, and a very respectable school for young ladies. Here are likewise seven mercantile stores, a bank, two printing offices, and a market house.
The public buildings of the state, consisting of a state-house, a building for the public offices, and the penitentiary, all of brick, are nearly completed.
The state-house is a handsome edifice of 75 by 50 feet upon the ground, and two lofty stories high, fronting the west. From the centre of the roof rises a neat belfry, ornamented with a handsome spire; the top of which is 106 feet from the ground. Adjoining the balcony, on two sides are handsome railed walks, from which the spectator may view the whole town as upon a map. And from this station, is likewise a most pleasing view of rural scenery in every direction, as far as the eye can reach. The low situated town of Franklinton one mile to the west, and the intervening meanderings of the slow winding* Scioto, add new charms to the surrounding prospect. The building for the public offices stands on a line with the state-house, on the north; and is 120 by 25 feet upon the ground, also two stories high. The state-house and public offices are on the west side of the public square, which is an area of ten acres, reserved for public use, in the center of the town.
The penitentiary is erected in the southwestern corner of the town; and is enclosed by a high stone wall. It was first prepared for convicts, in the fall of 1815.
Columbus is situated in Montgomery Township, 60 miles west from Zanesville, 114 northwestwardly from Marietta, 28 in the same direction from Lancaster, 45 north from Chillicothe, 90 from the mouth of Scioto River, and 115 northeastwardly from Cincinnati. North latitude 39, 56. West longitude 6.

Concord, a township of Champaign County, containing 375 inhabitants.

Concord, a township of Ross County.

Concord, also the name of a township in Highland County.

Congo, a small run putting into Sippo creek, 4 1-2 miles below Circleville.

Congress Lands, a general name given to those public lands of the United States; which either have been, or are yet to be sold at the public land offices, under authority of laws of congress. The lands thus authorized to be sold in the state of Ohio, are divided into the land districts of Canton, Steubenville, Zanesville, Marietta, Chillicothe and Cincinnati. They are so called from the names of the several towns in which the land offices are respectively kept. For a particular description of each district, individually, see the articles Canton District, Steubenville District, &c.

Conneaught, a small rivulet in the northeastern corner of the state, in Ashtabula County, running northwardly into Lake Erie. Near the mouth is a post office, designated by the same name.

Connecticut Reserve, oftentimes called New Connecticut, is situated in the northeastern quarter of the state between Lake Erie on the north, Pennsylvania east, the parallel of the 41st degree of north latitude south, and the meridian of 5 degrees 49 minutes of west longitude on the west. It extends 120 miles from east to west, and, upon an average 52 from north to south: although on the Pennsylvania line, it is 68 miles broad. The area is just 4,000,000 of acres. A body of 500,000 acres is stricken off from the west end of the tract, as a donation to certain sufferers by fire. For a particular description of which, see the article Fire Lands. New Connecticut is subdivided into the seven counties of Ashtabula, Trumbull, Portage, Geauga, Cuyahoga, Medina, and Huron: and is principally settled by emigrants from the states of Massachusetts and Connecticut.
The manner by which Connecticut became possessed of the land in question, was the following: King Charles II of England, pursuing the example of his brother kings, of granting distant and foreign regions to his subjects, granted to the then colony of Connecticut, in 1662, a charter right to all lands included within certain specified bounds. But as the geographical knowledge of Europeans concerning America was then very limited and confused, patents for lands often interfered with each other, and many of them, even by their express terms, extended to the Pacific ocean, or South sea, as it was then called. Among the rest, that for Connecticut embraced all lands contained between the 41st and 42nd parallels of north latitude, and from Providence plantations on the east to the Pacific Ocean west, with the exception of New York and Pennsylvania colonies: and, indeed, pretensions to these were not finally relinquished, without considerable altercation. And, after the United States became an independent nation, these interfering claims occasioned much collision of sentiment between them and the state of Connecticut, which was finally compromised, by the United States relinquishing all their claim upon, and guaranteeing to Connecticut the exclusive right of soil, to the 4,000,000 of acres now described. The United States however, by the terms of compromise, reserved to themselves the right of jurisdiction. They then united this tract to the territory, now state of Ohio.

Coshocton, an interior county, bounded on the north by Wayne, east by Tuscarawas, south by Muskingum, and on the west by Knox counties. It is about 30 miles state, between Lake Erie on the north; Pennsylvania east, square, and contains 3,000 inhabitants, and a valuation of 709,768 dollars. Its principal waters beside the Muskingum River, which runs through the southeastern quarter, are Wills' creek and White Woman's River together with its extensive branches. The land is generally hilly and rough, although in some places level and fertile. Seat of justice Coshocton.

Coshocton, a post town and seat of justice of the above mentioned county. It contains four stores; and is situated some distance southerly from the center of the county, on the eastern side of the Muskingum River, and opposite the mouth of White Woman's River. Distance 28 miles north by east from Zanesville, and 66 easterly by north from Columbus. North latitude 40, 17. West Longitude 4, 55.

Cowan's Creek, a small branch of Tod's fork.

Crooked Creek, a western water of Scioto River and opposite Piketon.

Crosby, a post town of Hamilton County, on the west side of the Great Miami River, opposite Colerain in North latitude 39, 15.

Cross Creek, a stream in Jefferson County.

Cross Creek, the name of a township situated on the abovementioned creek, in Jefferson County.

Cross Creek, a small stream putting into the Ohio River in Clermont County four miles below Little Indian creek.

Cunningham's island, an island containing a few acres in the southwestern part of Lake Erie, and a short distance northwestwardly from the entrance into Sandusky bay.

Cuyahoga, a northern, lake county, bounded on the north by Lake Erie, east by Geauga, south by Portage and Medina, and on the west by Huron counties. It extends 40 miles from east to west, and from 15 to 24 miles from north to south. This county and Huron, which is attached to it, contain a valuation of 1,347,048 dollars. Its principal waters are the Chagrine, Cuyahoga, Rocky and Black rivers, all running northwardly into Lake Erie. Of these, the Cuyahoga is the largest and gives name to the county. Seat of Justice Cleveland. Population, 2,500.

Cuyahoga, a river rising in the central parts of Geauga County: from whence it runs above half its length into the western parts of Portage, where it gradually turns northwestwardly into and across Cuyahoga County, and enters lake Erie at Cleveland. It runs a total distance of above 60 miles: and is navigable for a considerable distance.

* According to the mean of several observations by a mathematician of that town, Chillicothe has been ascertained to be in the latitude above stated. But according to Messrs. Hough and Bourne's large Ohio map recently published, it is situated 6 minutes further north that is in North latitude 39, 20.

Back to the Index


Source: The Ohio Gazetteer or Topographical Dictionary, by John Kilbourn, A. M.,
Smith & Griswold Printers, Columbus, Nov. 1816



This page was last updated Tuesday, 23-Aug-2016 13:18:00 EDT.
All Rights Reserved

Commercial use of material within this site is prohibited.
This site may not be duplicated in any way without consent.

Copyright © 2016~2017 by Ohio AHGP