Fairfield, a large and wealthy interior county,
bounded on the north by Licking, east by Muskingum and Washington, south by Athens
and Ross, and west by Pickaway and Franklin counties. It is 36 miles long by 80
broad; and contains 900 square miles. It is divided into the 20 following
townships, namely: Amanda, Reading, Liberty, Madison, Jackson, Hopewell, Bern,
Bloom, Thorn, Hocking, Falls, Violet, Greenfield, Clear Creek, Pleasant, Walnut,
Richland, Rush Creek, Pike and Perry. This page was last updated Tuesday, 23-Aug-2016 13:18:02 EDT.
The villages regularly laid out and called towns, are, in addition to Lancaster,
the county seat, the seven following, namely: Somerset, Clinton, New Lebanon,
Jacksonville, Greencastle, and Centerville.
This county embraces perhaps the most
elevated tract of country, of similar extent, between the Muskingum and Scioto
rivers. The land is therefore drier, and more peculiarly adapted to the production
of wheat and other kinds of grain than that of several adjacent counties. The
principal streams are the head waters of Hockhocking River. The face of the
country about Lancaster in the central part of the county presents a peculiar
aspect. The land seems generally level; but abrupt, precipitous and conform piles
of rocks, producing very little timber or herbage, are occasionally interspersed
in a promiscuous manner, in every direction. They are of diverse altitudes and
magnitudes. Some people might perhaps conjecture them to have been works of art,
did not their numbers and magnitude preclude the idea. One of these called Mount
Pleasant, about one mile northerly from Lancaster, is very remarkable. It is
situated near a large prairie, and encompassed by a large plain. The southwest
front of this huge pile of rocks is about 500 feet in perpendicular height, the
base is about a mile and a half in circumference, while the top is but about 30 by
100 yards across it. The northeast side is tolerably easy of ascent, and it can be
ascended in one or two other directions, but those who ascend it, find it tiresome,
and are glad when they reach the summit, which is a level, and commands a very
extensive prospect of the surrounding country; which it may be truly said, is
magnificently sublime. On approaching Lancaster, from the westward, across a
prairie, the bold front, and great height of Mount Pleasant has a romantic
appearance, and form a pleasing contrast with the surrounding country. From this
mount, the town is supplied with its building stone and sand. The soil in this
vicinity is rather hard of tillage, but tolerably good for grain. Some parts of
the county, particularly in the southeastern quarter, are very hilly, and of a
thin, barren soil but all taken together, may be considered valuable.
A majority of the inhabitants are of German extraction, frugal and industrious.
The number of inhabitants is 13,635; among whom are 2733 voters. Total valuation
The internal improvements are considerable, there being, within
the limits of the county, 1 paper mill, 3 fulling mills, 8 carding machines, and
30 grist mills, beside double that number of saw mills.
Fairfield, a town of Jefferson county.
Fairfield, a small post town of Columbiana county.
Fairfield, a town of Licking county, situated on a north branch of Licking creek, 4 miles northerly from Newark, on the road leading from that town to Mount Vernon.
Fairfield, a township of Highland county.
Fairfield, a small town on Mad River in Bath Township, Green County, containing one store.
Fairfield, a township of Butler County.
Fairhaven, a pleasant little village on the west bank of the Ohio River, in Gallia County, 4 miles above Gallipolis and opposite the mouth of Great Kenhawa River in Virginia.
Fairview, a new town of Guernsey County, on the road from Zanesville to Wheeling, 25 mites east from Cambridge.
Falls, the name of a township in Muskingum County.
Falls, a township likewise of Fairfield County.
Fawcettstown, a post town on the Ohio River, in Columbiana County, 5 miles below the Pennsylvania line.
Fawn Creek, an inconsiderable stream, running into the northwestern side of Miami River in the northwestern quarter of Miami County.
Fayette, an interior county, bounded on the north by Madison, east by Pickaway and Ross, south by Highland, and west by Clinton and Green counties. It is about 23 by 18 miles in extent. The principal waters are Deer and Paint creeks. The land is generally hilly, and of a moderately good quality. The valuation of its property is 485,932 dollars; and its population 3705. County seat, Washington. It is divided into the six following townships, namely: Jefferson, Paint, Madison, Union, Wayne and Green.
Fayette, a recently incorporated township of Gallia County.
Fearing, a township of Washington County.
Federal Creek, a stream, in the eastern part of Athens County, running southwardly into Hockhocking River, in the township of Rome.
Feestown, a post village in Clermont County.
Fire Lands, a tract of country so called, of about 750 square miles, or 480,000
acres in the western part of New Connecticut. The name originated from the
circumstance of the state of Connecticut having granted these lands as a donation
to certain sufferers by fire, occasioned by the English during our Revolutionary
War, particularly at New London, Fairfield and Norwalk. These lands include the
five westernmost ranges of the Western Reserve townships. Lake Erie and Sandusky
Bay project so far southerly, as to leave but the space of six tiers and some
fractions of townships between them, and the 41st parallel of latitude, or a tract
of about 30 by 25 miles in extent. The principal waters, beside Sandusky Bay and
Lake Erie, which skirt the whole northern boundary, are Huron and Vermillion Rivers,
and Cold, Pipe and La Chapelle creeks, running northwardly into Sandusky Bay. The
lands are generally pretty fertile and well timbered. They lie within and
constitute almost the whole of Huron County. A considerable portion of the land is
owned by non-residents: and a majority of these owners reside in Connecticut.
Flushing, a town of Belmont County.
Folkstown, a small post of Columbiana County.
Fort Amanda, a military post near the source of Great Au-Glaize River, on the
route from Cincinnati to Fort Defiance. It is 49 miles north by east from Greenville, and 129 north from Cincinnati.
Fort Brown, another military post 16 miles southerly from Fort Defiance, and 22 northerly from fort Jennings.
Fort Defiance, an important military fortification, situated on the point of land formed by the junction of Au-Glaize, with the Maumee River. During the late war, its name was partially changed to that of Winchester; but it seems now, very properly, to be resuming its original appellation. Distance, 50 miles southwest from Fort Meigs, and 16 north from Fort Brown.
Fort Ferree, a station so called at Upper Sandusky, 40 miles south or up the river from Fort Stephenson.
Fort Finley, a small post, on the military route from Urbana to fort Meigs, 20 miles north from Fort Necessity.
Fort Greenville, a military post erected during the early settlement of the territory, now state of Ohio. It is situated in the Twelfth Township and second range of Congress lands lying west of the Virginia military tract. Here was concluded the celebrated Indian treaty in the year 1795, commonly called the treaty of Greenville; by which the present east and west boundary line between the Ohio people and Indians was established. A village has since, gradually grown up in its vicinity called by the same name.
Fort Harmar. [See Point Harmar.]
Fort Jefferson, an inconsiderable post, five miles southerly from Greenville.
Fort Jennings, a minor post, on the Au-Glaize road 18 miles southerly from Fort Amanda, and 22 in the same direction from fort Brown.
Fort Loramie, a post so called from a station formerly made by a man of that name, on one of the head waters of the Great Miami River, in North latitude 40, 16, and West longitude 7, 15. It is noted as being one point determining the bearing of part of the Greenville treaty line.
Fort M'Arthur, a small post, 42 miles northerly from Urbana, on the road from thence to Fort Meigs.
Fort Meigs, a noted military fortification erected in the winter of 1812-13, on the southeastern bank of the Maumee River, at the lower rapids of that river, a few miles from its mouth. Distance, southerly from Detroit, 70 miles, and northwesterly from Fort Stephenson, 36 miles. It is of an oblong figure, and when first completed, enclosed an area of about 11 acres. The wall consists of stout palisadoes, 14 feet high, sunk 4 feet into the ground, with steep embankments of earth on each side, taken from a broad interior ditch, and a deep exterior moat. At suitable distances, are regular bastions mounted with artillery. This post is remarkable for a siege, which it sustained from the British and Indians, in April, 1813, until the 5th of May following, when the garrison together with a reinforcement from Kentucky made a valiant sortie, driving their enemies in every direction, and compelling them to raise the siege. Since the siege, it has been considerably reduced from its former dimensions.
Fort Portage, a block house, sometimes denominated a fort on Portage or Carrying River, on the route from Fort Finley to Fort Meigs, 18 miles southerly from the latter, and 29 north from the former.
Fort Recovery, a noted post established by Gen. Wayne, 23 miles northwestwardly from Laramie’s station, on the old road from Greenville to Fort Wayne.
Fort Seneca, a military post occupied during the late war on the west side of Sandusky River 9 miles southerly from Fort Stephenson.
Fort St. Clair, a military post 26 miles southerly from Greenville, formerly occupied by the United States troops near the head waters of St. Clair's or Seven mile creek, in Preble County; and within 3/4 of a mile of Eaton.
Fort Stephenson, an important military post on the western side of Sandusky River, 18 miles from its mouth, and 67 north from the Indian boundary. It stands on a tract of land ceded by the Indians at the Grenville treaty, to the United States. It is rendered famous by the bravery with which it was successfully defended by an inconsiderable number of American troops, against a furious assault made upon it by the British with vastly superior numbers, in July 1813. This place, together with the settlement in its vicinity is frequently, and perhaps most generally, called Lower Sandusky; it being situated adjacent to the lower rapids of Sandusky River.
Fort St. Mary's, a military station near the source of St. Mary's River, on the route from Greenville to Fort Defiance, 12 miles north of Laramie’s station, and 12 south by west from Fort Amanda.
Fort Wayne, an important frontier post established as a barrier against the Indians on the south side of the Maumee River immediately below the junction of St. Mary's River; and opposite the mouth of St. Joseph's River. It is remarkable for a vigorous and successful defense made by its garrison, in August 1812, against a large body of Indians and British. The present notice of this post is here taken, because it forms a part of the same general line of frontier defense, with those before described, although it is not situated in the state of Ohio, but lies within the limits of the state of Indiana.
Fort Winchester. [See Fort Defiance.]
Four Mile Creek, a stream running into the west side of Miami River, in Butler County.
Fowler, a township of Trumbull County.
Frankfort, a town of Guernsey County, 15 miles easterly from Cambridge, on the great road leading from Zanesville to Wheeling in Virginia.
Franklin, a township of Portage County.
Franklin, a township of Licking County.
Franklin, a township of Ross County.
Franklin, a lively post town, containing forty-five families, situated on the eastern side of the Great Miami River, in the northwestern corner of Warren County, just above Clear creek. Distance 1 miles northwesterly from Lebanon, 18 south by west from Dayton, 34 north by east from Cincinnati, and 84 southwesterly from Columbus.
Franklin, a central county, bounded on the north by Delaware, east by Licking and Fairfield, south by Pickaway, and west by Madison counties. It is somewhat above 22 miles square; being exactly of that extent upon its east and south limits, 22½ on its west, and 23½ on the line dividing it from Delaware on the north. The land is generally level, but rather low and wet than otherwise, yet most exuberantly fertile and is exceedingly well calculated for grazing farms, and raising stock. The principal waters are the Scioto and Whetstone rivers, Alum, Big Walnut, Black lick and Darby creeks. All these unite in one common stream the Scioto River, before leaving the county; excepting Darby creek, which does not join the river until entering Pickaway County. Franklin County contains a population of 6,800 inhabitants; and a valuation of 2,038,475 dollars. It is divided into the fourteen following townships, namely: Clinton, Franklin, Harrison, Hamilton, Jackson, Madison, Miflin, Montgomery, Norwich, Plain, Pleasant, Sharon, Truro, and Washington. The towns are Columbus, Franklinton, and Worthington.
Franklin, a fertile township of the above described county on the western side of Scioto River, containing about 1000 inhabitants.
Franklin Creek, a western branch of the Miami River, rising in Dark County, running into the northern and through the eastern parts of Preble, crosses the southeast corner of Montgomery, and enters the northeast corner of Butler County; soon after which it joins the Miami 3 miles below the town of Franklin, but on the opposite side of the river.
Franklinton, a post town and seat of justice for Franklin County. It is situated in Franklin Township, nearly 1 mile west from Columbus, on the southwestern bank of Scioto River, 90 miles from its mouth. It is low, but pleasantly situated; containing a court house and gaol, four stores, and about seventy dwelling houses. But on account of its proximity to the rapidly improving town of Columbus, it seems not to be flourishing.
Fredericktown, a small post town in the northwestern quarter of Knox County, 7 miles north from Mount Vernon, and 44 northeasterly from Columbus.
French Grant, a tract of 24,000 acres of land bordering upon the Ohio River, in the southeastern quarter of Scioto County. It was granted by Congress in March, 1795, to a number of French families, who lost their lands at Gallipolis, by invalid titles. It extends from a point on the Ohio River, 1½ miles above but opposite the mouth of Little Sandy creek in Kentucky, and extending 8 miles in a direct line down the river; and from the two extremities of that line, extending back at right angles sufficiently far to include the quantity of land required; which somewhat exceeds 4½ miles. Pine or Hale's and Genet's creeks are the principal waters, excepting the Ohio River, which forms its southwestern boundary. Although the land in question was originally granted exclusively to Frenchmen; jet there are not above eight or ten French families who now reside upon it: the other portion of the population being composed of emigrants from Vermont, New Hampshire and other states. Of this tract, 4,000, acres directly opposite Little Sandy creek in Kentucky, were granted to monsieur J. G. Gervais, who has since disposed of it to some emigrants from the eastward.
Fulton's Creek, a stream in the northern part of Delaware County, running into the western side of Scioto River, 3 miles above Boque's creek.
Back to the Index
Source: The Ohio Gazetteer or Topographical Dictionary, by John Kilbourn, A. M.,
Smith & Griswold Printers, Columbus, Nov. 1816
All Rights Reserved
Commercial use of material within this site is prohibited.
This site may not be duplicated in any way without consent.
Copyright © 2016~2017 by Ohio AHGP