Ohio American History & Genealogy


1816 Ohio Gazetteer
Kaygers Creek to Knoxville

Kaygers Creek, a stream in Gallia County, running into the Ohio River 10 miles above Gallipolis.

Kendall, a new but flourishing post town in Stark County, 7 miles west from Canton ; and near the eastern side of Muskingum River, or as it is here frequently called, Tuscarawas creek. It contains 50 dwelling houses, four mercantile stores, and an extensive factory for the fabrication of woolen cloths. In this place and its vicinity are kept several very extensive flocks of sheep, of from 100 to 1000 in each.

Killbuck Creek, a large stream rising in the southern part of Medina County, and after running southerly above 50 miles across Wayne, and into the interior of Coshocton County, unites with Mohiccan creek: and then the joint stream is called White Woman's River.

King Creek, a small northern water of Mad River, in Champaign County.

Kingston, a township in the eastern part of Delaware County, on the head waters of Alum and Big Walnut creeks, and immediately north of Berkshire.

Kingsville, a township in the northeastern quarter of Ashtabula County.

Kinnikinnick, a large and valuable mill stream, rising in the northern parts of Ross, and southeastern quarter of Pickaway County: and running southwestwardly into the east side of Scioto River 7 miles above Chillicothe. On this creek are two excellent merchant mills, beside a paper, and several other mills.

Kinsman, a post township in the northeastern corner of Trumbull County.

Kirkwood, a township of Belmont County.

Knox, a county, bounded on the north by Richland, east by Coshocton, north by Licking, and west by Delaware counties. It is 30 miles long, from east to west, and 20 broad, from north to south. Its principal waters are Owl and Mohiccan creeks. Total valuation 1,030,260 dollars. This county contains eight towns, namely, Mt. Vernon the seat of justice, Clinton, Fredericktown, Winchester, Williamsburg, Harrison, New-Lexington and Danville. The county is divided into eight townships, namely, Clinton, Morris, Chester, Millers, Jackson, Union, Wayne and Morgan."

Knox, a township of Columbiana County.

Knox, a township of Jefferson County.

Knoxville, the name of a town, recently laid out in the upper part of Jefferson County, four miles from the Ohio River, and 11 north by west from Steubenville.

Back to the Index


Source: The Ohio Gazetteer or Topographical Dictionary, by John Kilbourn, A. M.,
Smith & Griswold Printers, Columbus, Nov. 1816



This page was last updated Tuesday, 23-Aug-2016 13:18:05 EDT.
All Rights Reserved

Commercial use of material within this site is prohibited.
This site may not be duplicated in any way without consent.

Copyright © 2016~2017 by Ohio AHGP