Ohio American History & Genealogy


1816 Ohio Gazetteer
Oak Creek to Oxford

Oak Creek, a stream rising in the western part of Highland county, from whence it runs in a southwardly direction above 20 miles, across the eastern borders of Clermont County, into the Ohio River a few miles above Augusta in Kentucky.

Obannon, a small creek, in the northwestern quarter of Clermont County, which runs westwardly into Little Miami River.

Ohio River, which gives name to the state of Ohio, is formed by the confluence of the Allegany and Monongahela rivers at Pittsburg, in the western part of Pennsylvania. From thence it flows with a gentle current, in a general, but very serpentine southwestwardly direction, and mingles its waters with those of the Mississippi River, in north latitude 37 degrees, and west longitude 11, 56, It is 908 miles long, from Pittsburg to its mouth, including its numerous meanderings; although it is but 614 miles in a direct line across the country. It varies in breadth, from 400 to 1400 yards. At Cincinnati, it is 534 yards; which may be regarded as the mean breadth. This is an excellent river for inland navigation. But its windings are so numerous and extensive, that a passage upon it is rendered rather tedious. Its current is very gentle, and nowhere broken by any considerable falls, excepting at Louisville, in Kentucky, where the waters run with great rapidity, for several miles; yet the current is not thereby so broken, but that boats have, in numerous instances ascended them. The whole perpendicular descent, in two miles, is found to be 22 1-2 feet. A canal has been contemplated around these falls; which would tend vastly to the improvement and utility of this noble river. Le Tart's rapids however, 25 miles below Shade River, form a slight obstruction to its navigation in some stages of the water. This broad river embosoms numerous islands; many of which are large and fertile.

"Its annual range from low to high water, is above 10 feet; the extreme range nearly 10 feet more. When lowest, it may be forded in several places above Louisville. The greatest depressions are generally in August, September and October; the greatest rises in December, March, May and June. Near Pittsburg, it is almost every winter frozen over for several weeks: this has even been the case, more than 400 miles below that town. Generally, the navigation upwards is suspended by floating ice during eight or ten weeks of the winter. Its current, when of a mean height, is estimated at three miles an hour; when higher and rising, it is more; when very low, it does not exceed two miles. The Ohio contains about a hundred islands, or one for every nine miles; however, between the states of Kentucky and Ohio, there are none. A few of these islands are cultivated, many are too small and barren for advantageous improvement, and a large proportion are liable to occasional inundation. They form no serious obstruction to the navigation of the river, except in low water, when the bars and ripples connected with them, are somewhat dangerous." Steam boats have been found, by actual experiment, to be peculiarly well adapted for its navigation. It is contemplated by several individuals to operate a partial, and if practicable, a total change in the course of foreign trade; by diverting it from the tedious, expensive and troublesome conveyance by land across the Allegany mountains, and transferring it, by way of New Orleans, with water carriage, through the channel of the Mississippi and Ohio rivers: This it is supposed may be accomplished, to the incalculable benefit of the western country generally.

OHIO, state.

Ohio, a township of Gallia county, containing 285 inhabitants.

Ohio Company's purchase, a tract of land containing 1,500,000 acres lying along the Ohio River, and including almost the whole of Athens, and a considerable part of Washington and Gallia counties. The tract under consideration, was purchased by a company from Massachusetts and Connecticut, in 1787; out of which, in the contract for the purchase, the company gave two townships of six miles square each, for the benefit of a college: beside which a tract of 100,000 acres in the north part of the purchase was granted on the express condition of being surveyed into 100 acre lots, and being conveyed in fee simple, to actual settlers within five years from the passage of the act. With some partial exceptions, the Ohio Company's purchase may be considered as hilly and sterile body of land as any other of similar extent in the state.

Old Woman's Creek, an inconsiderable stream in Huron County, running northwardly into Lake Erie, a few miles eastwardly of Huron River.

Olive Green, a small creek running into the Muskingum River in Washington County.

Olivetown, a town of Guernsey County.

Orange, a post township on Shade River, in the southeastern part of Athens County, containing two post offices, designated Stedman's, and Long Bottom post offices.

Orange, a pleasant township in the southern borders of Delaware County. Along the borders of Alum creek, which passes through the eastern parts of the township, the land is peculiarly fertile and handsomely situated.

Osnaburg, a small town of Stark County, 5 miles east from Canton, on the road leading to New Lisbon.

Ottowa [See Tawa town]

Owl Creek, a considerable stream rising in the southwestern corner of Richland County, and from thence running southwestwardly 35 or 40 miles into and across the central parts of Knox County, in an eastwardly by south direction, and forms its junction with Mohiccan creek, just within the limits of Coshocton County. Bordering upon this creek, are considerable bodies of valuable land.

Oxford, the southwestern most township in Butler County, adjoining the state of Indiana; and about 20 miles northwestwardly from Cincinnati. The land belongs, in fee simple, to the Miami University; on the site of which said University is located: but that institution has not yet gone into operation.

Oxford, a township of Tuscarawas County; within the limits of which are laid off the towns of Westchester and Wilmington.

Oxford, a post town of Coshocton County,

Oxford, a township of Guernsey County.

Back to the Index


Source: The Ohio Gazetteer or Topographical Dictionary, by John Kilbourn, A. M.,
Smith & Griswold Printers, Columbus, Nov. 1816



This page was last updated Tuesday, 23-Aug-2016 13:18:09 EDT.
All Rights Reserved

Commercial use of material within this site is prohibited.
This site may not be duplicated in any way without consent.

Copyright © 2016~2017 by Ohio AHGP