Ohio American History & Genealogy


1816 Ohio Gazetteer
Painesville to Putnam

Painesville, a very flourishing post township of Geauga county, on the southern shore of Lake Erie. "It includes the mouth of Grand River; and is the most populous and flourishing of any in the county. The town or village is situated on the western bank of the river, about three miles from its mouth. On entering the river, the harbor is sufficiently deep and capacious; and a vessel may unload, by placing a single plank from the deck to the shore. It is believed the harbor may be made permanent without very great expense. This town contains a post office, 6 stores, a saw and grist mill, a fulling mill, sundry carding machines, a carding machine factory, a very extensive tannery, a distillery, three blacksmiths' shops, one tinner, three physicians, one lawyer, two taverns, with sundry mechanics not here mentioned. Perhaps no place on the Connecticut reserve is advancing with equal rapidity." In tins township is also laid out the town of Grandon. Adjoining Painesville, on the east, a bridge 400 feet long, is thrown across Grand River, where the great east and west road along the lake crosses it. This bridge is free from toll, it being built "principally by subscription, the industry and public spirit of the citizens of this section of the country superseding the necessity of toll bridges."

Paint, a township in the northeastern corner of Fayette County.

Paint Creek, a western branch of Scioto River. It rises in the southwestern corner of Madison County, near the source of Little Miami; from whence it runs southeastwardly 35 miles, across Fayette County by Washington, and along the southwestern borders of Ross County, when it turns and runs in a somewhat northeastwardly direction, 15 miles, thence eastwardly 10 miles farther, where it joins the Scioto River 5 miles below Chillicothe. Its principal branches arc North, Rattlesnake, and Rocky forks. Paint creek is a remarkably long stream for the quantity of water which it usually contains at its mouth: and, together with its numerous branches, waters an extensive portion of valuable country.

Painter Creek, a western brook of Stillwater rivulet.

Paintville, a recently laid off town in Wayne County, 15 miles southeast from Wooster on the road leading from that town to New Philadelphia.

Palmyra, a post township in the eastern borders of Portage County.

Parkman, a post town or village in Burton Township, near the southeastern corner of Geauga County.

Paxton, a township of Ross County.

Pee Pee, a township of Pike County, in which is a ferry across Scioto River, 19 miles south from Chillicothe, on the road from thence to Portsmouth.

Perry, a township of Clermont County.

Perry, a township of Gallia County.

Perry, a township of Geauga County, situated between Painesville and Madison.

Perry, a township of Stark County.

Perry, a township of Wayne County.

Perrysburg, the name given to a town plat recently laid out at the lower rapids of the Maumee River. It is particularly so called in honor of Captain Perry, who won his celebrated naval victory, a short distance from the mouth of that river.

Perrysville, a township of Richland County, on an eastern fork of Mohiccan creek.

Petersburg, a small town in the eastern borders of Columbiana County, 14 miles easterly by north from New Lisbon.

Philadelphia, new. [See New Philadelphia]

Pickaway, a fertile interior county, bounded on the north by Franklin, east by Fairfield, south by Ross, and west by Fayette and Madison counties. It is 22 by 21 miles in extent; containing 470 square miles. It has a population of 9260 inhabitants; and property valued at 1,446,407 dollars. It contains likewise the four towns of Bloomfield, Circleville the county seat, Livingston and Jefferson. A considerable portion of the land, especially on the eastern side of Scioto River, is of a very superior quality; and produces almost immense quantities of the different kinds of grain. Scioto River runs from north to south through nearly the middle of the county. The other principal streams are Lower Walnut, Darby and Deer creeks.

Pickaway, a township of the county just described.

Pickaway Plains, a remarkable level and fertile body of and in Pickaway County, 3 miles below Circleville. These plains lie a little eastwardly from Scioto River, in somewhat a circular or rather an eliptical form with the longest diameter from northeast to southwest, being about 7 miles in that direction, by 3 1-2 from northwest to southeast. These are natural plains, without a tree or shrub within reach of the eye, excepting along the distant borders in the surrounding horizon, which is nearly equal to that obtained at sea.

Pike, a township of Stark county.

Pike, a new township of Fairfield County.

Pike, a township in the northwest corner of Madison County.

Pike, a southern county, bounded north by Ross, east by Jackson, south by Scioto and Adams counties and on the west by Highland county. It is 32 miles long from east to west by 15 broad from north to south; containing 400 square miles. Population 2300. County seat Piketon. A considerable portion of the land is rough and hilly: but several tracts of valuable land are however interspersed in various parts.

Piketon, a post town and county seat for the above described county. It was laid out early in 1815, on the eastern side of Scioto River; 19 miles below or south from Chillicothe, on the great road leading from thence to Portsmouth, and 26 miles north from the town last mentioned.

Pine Creek, [See Hale’s creek.]

Piney Creek, a small stream in Jefferson County.

Pipe Creek, a stream about 20 miles long, running north by eastwardly across the northwestern corner of Huron County, into the eastern extremity of Sandusky Bay.

Pipe Creek, also a township of Huron County.

Piqua, a post town in Miami County, considerably noted on account of its being the place of residence of one of the American Indian agents; and for several minor treaties here held with the original natives. It is situated on the western side of the Miami River, 8 miles northerly from Troy, 27 west by north from Urbana and 67 in a similar direction from Columbus.

Plain, a township of Franklin county; containing nearly 300 inhabitants.

Pleasant, a township of Fairfield County.

Pleasant, a post township in the southwest corner of Franklin County, containing 455 inhabitants.

Pleasant, a township of Madison County.

Pleasant, a township of Champaign county, containing 675 inhabitants.

Point Harmar, the name by which that part of Marietta situated on the south bank of the Muskingum River, is usually designated. It is remarkably pleasantly situated, contains above thirty handsome dwelling houses, a post office, and a valuable steam mill; the building for which is erected of stone four stories high.

Poland, the southeastern most town and township of Trumbull County. It is a flourishing post town, in which is a forge, furnace, and other mills, situated on Big Beaver creek, and upon the road from Pittsburg to Warren: distance from the latter place 18 miles, 65 from the former, and 163 northeastwardly from Columbus.

Portage, a northern county, bounded on the north by Cuyahoga and Geauga, east by Trumbull, south by Stark, and west by Medina counties. It is exactly 30 by 25 miles in extent, containing 750 square miles. It is descriptively named from the circumstance of its including within its limits, the portage of one mile connecting the waters of Cuyahoga River with those of the Muskingum. Those streams, together with the head waters of Big Beaver, or Mahoning, compose its principal waters. The land is generally high and elevated. The county, together with Medina which is at present attached to it, contains 6000 inhabitants, and a total valuation of 2,495, 564 dollars: above half of which belongs to non-residents. It is divided into £he townships of Atwater, Aurora, Boston, Charlestown, Deerfield, Franklin, Hiram, Hudson, Mantua, Northampton, Palmyra, Portage, Randolph, Ravenna the county seat ; Rootstown, Huron, Springfield, Stow, Shalersville, and Talmadge.

Portage River, [See Carrying River.]

Portage, new, a town recently "laid out on the north bend on the Tuscarawas branch of the Muskingum; and is situated just within the southwest corner of the county of Portage."

Portsmouth, a flourishing post town, and seat of justice for Scioto County. It is advantageously situated for internal commerce, on the eastern bank of Scioto River just above its junction with the Ohio. It contains a court house and goal, six mercantile stores, and 2 commission ware houses, which do pretty extensive business. Distance 45 miles south from Chilicothe, and 89 in the same direction from Columbus.

Prairie, the name of a township in Wayne County.

Preble, a western county, bounded on the north by-Dark, east by Montgomery, and south by Butler counties, and west by the state of Indiana. It is 24 by 18 miles in extent, containing 432 square miles. It contains 5,333 inhabitants; and property valued at 798,660 dollars. The settlement commenced in 1804, and this county was organized four years afterward. It now contains the nine townships of Jefferson, Dixon, Israel, Somers, Washington, Harrison, Twin, Lanier, and Gratis; and the two towns of Eaton and New Lexington; the former of which is the county seat. The country is generally level, and of a tolerable good quality, and well calculated for grazing farms. The principal streams are the head waters of Twin, Whitewater, Four mile, and Seven mile or St. Clair's creeks, all of nearly equal size. Iron ore is also here found.

Pugh's Settlement, the township of Radnor, often so called, 5 miles northwesterly from the town of Delaware.

Pultney, an inconsiderable settlement in Belmont County, on the Ohio River, 9 miles below Wheeling in Virginia.

Put-in-Bay, a very commodious station for ships, between two islands, near the southern shore of Lake Erie, a little northeastwardly from the mouth of Carrying River. It is noted as being the harbor into which Captain Perry first ordered the British fleet, after its capture on the 10th of September 1813.

Putnam, a flourishing post town on the western bank of Muskingum River, opposite Zanesville. It contains several handsome brick dwelling houses, a neat two story stone building for an academy, several mercantile stores, mechanical shops, and mills. The enterprising citizens of this town have recently erected an elegant, substantial and costly bridge, on hewn stone piers, across the Muskingum River, to facilitate the intercourse between it and Zanesville. This town was called Springfield, until the session of the legislature in 1813—14, when the name was changed to Putnam.

Back to the Index


Source: The Ohio Gazetteer or Topographical Dictionary, by John Kilbourn, A. M.,
Smith & Griswold Printers, Columbus, Nov. 1816



This page was last updated Tuesday, 23-Aug-2016 13:18:10 EDT.
All Rights Reserved

Commercial use of material within this site is prohibited.
This site may not be duplicated in any way without consent.

Copyright © 2016~2017 by Ohio AHGP