Union, a township of Knox County.
This page was last updated Tuesday, 23-Aug-2016 13:18:13 EDT.
Union, also a township of Belmont County.
Union, a township of Washington County.
Union, a township of Gallia county, containing 435 inhabitants.
Union, a township of Licking County.
Union, a township of Ross County.
Union, a township of Champaign County, containing 445 inhabitants.
Union, a township of Fayette County in which is situated the town of Washington.
Union, a township of Clinton County, in which is situated the town of Wilmington.
Union, a township of Warren County, immediately east from Lebanon.
Union, a township of Butler County.
Union. West. [See West Union.]
Union, or Shakerstown, a remarkable neat settlement, inhabited by Shakers, in Warren County, 4 miles west of Lebanon. The property is all held in common, by the whole society.
Uniontown, a settlement of Randolph Township, 12 miles up Wolf creek, in the northwestern quarter of Montgomery County.
United States Military lands, are twenty ranges of townships, of five miles square each, beside the fractional part of the 21st range, extending 100 miles from the Scioto River eastward, and to an average breadth of 40 miles from the Indian boundary north to the Refugee tract and Congress lands south.
These lands compose parts of Chillicothe, and of Zanesville districts. This tract of country was originally surveyed by order of the general government, and appropriated to the payment of revolutionary officers and soldiers; from which circumstance, is derived the appellation military. It is probably as valuable a portion of the state as can anywhere be found, of similar extent. The western parts are very level, and in some places rather wet, so that the roads are very bad, until improved by considerable labor. The eastern parts, however, are hilly and broken; but still contains considerable bodies of fertile land. The Muskingum and Scioto rivers, together with several of their branches, water this tract of country.
Unity, a township of Columbiana County.
Upper Sandusky, a station so called on the western side of Sandusky River, nearly 50 miles from its mouth.
Urbana, a flourishing post town and county seat for Champaign County, containing a printing office, a court house and jail a bank a Methodist meeting house, a market house, nine mercantile stores, 120 houses, principally of wood, and 600 inhabitants. It is situated in a fertile and tolerably well cultivated body of country, and therefore is fast improving. Distance 44 miles west by north from Columbus, and 34 northeasterly from Dayton. North latitude 40 3. West longitude 6 41.
Urbana, also the name of a township in which is situated the above described town. It contains about 1000 inhabitants.
Back to the Index
Source: The Ohio Gazetteer or Topographical Dictionary, by John Kilbourn, A. M.,
Smith & Griswold Printers, Columbus, Nov. 1816
All Rights Reserved
Commercial use of material within this site is prohibited.
This site may not be duplicated in any way without consent.
Copyright © 2016~2017 by Ohio AHGP