Xenia, a post town and county seat of Green County; situated on Shawnoe creek, 3 miles east from the Little Miami. It contains "eleven stores, about 600 inhabitants, 2 houses for public worship in, and one within sight of the town, two built of brick and one of stone, one associate or secession, one Methodist and Associate Reformed, a brick academy, in one apartment of which are taught the dead languages and other branches of literature, and in the other apartment is kept an English school.
This page was last updated Tuesday, 23-Aug-2016 13:18:14 EDT.
The court house, commissioners' and clerks' offices are of brick, and the jail is of stone. The houses lately built and now building, are principally of brick and stone. Those formerly built, are principally of wood. Distance 30 miles southwardly from Urbana, and 55 southwest wardly from Columbus.
Yellow Creek, Great and Little, two streams about 4 miles apart, which enter the Ohio River in the southeastern corner of Columbiana County. Great Yellow rises on the confines of Jefferson and Harrison counties, and thence runs about 20 miles in a northeastwardly direction into the Ohio just within the limits of Columbiana County. Near the sources of these streams are salt springs, from the water of which are made large quantities of salt.
Yellow Creek, a township of Columbiana County.
Yellow Springs, situated in Green County, 9 miles from Xenia, near the source of the Little Miami River, are a curiosity, and are said to possess considerable strong medicinal qualities. Here is also kept a post office. York, a township of Belmont County.
York, is a small town of Randolph Township, Montgomery County, on the east side of South West Branch, 8 miles above its mouth.
Youngstown, a flourishing post town, on the east bank of Mahoning, 14 miles southeastwardly from Warren on the great road leading from that town to Pittsburg in Pennsylvania. Here are five mercantile stores and a post office. Youngstown, Warren and Painesville, rank among the largest towns in New Connecticut.
Zane, a township of Champaign county, containing 5__ inhabitants.
Zanesville, a flourishing inland town, and seat of justice for Muskingum County, containing an elegant court house and public offices; 21 mercantile stores, 3 glass factories, two banks, two printing offices, and 230 dwellings houses, numbers of which are very handsome buildings, and 1532 Inhabitants. Zanesville is situated on the east Bank of Muskingum River, immediately adjoining the falls, on which are erected and erecting numerous mills among which are several flouring and sawmills, a nail machine, and woolen factory. Across the river adjoining the town, are built two bridges within half a mile of each other, of handsome structure, especially the lower, which is an elegant and durable piece of workmanship connecting this town with Putnam. It bids fair to become a large manufacturing town. Zanesville is situated in North latitude 39 58, West longitude 5 1; and 81 miles westerly from Wheeling in Virginia, 70 northeast from Chillicothe, and 60 east from Columbus.
Zanesville, land district of; embraces Coshocton and Muskingum counties, and parts of Tuscarawas, Guernsey, Washington, Licking, and Knox counties. This is mostly a hilly district of country; yet contains large bodies of valuable land. Coal, and iron ore are likewise found in this section of the state, in large quantities. Zoar, a thriving little village, in the southwestern quarter of Sunbury Township, Delaware County. It contains one store and several dwelling houses. Distance 12 miles southeasterly from Delaware, and 21 miles northeasterly from Columbus.
Back to the Index
Source: The Ohio Gazetteer or Topographical Dictionary, by John Kilbourn, A. M.,
Smith & Griswold Printers, Columbus, Nov. 1816
All Rights Reserved
Commercial use of material within this site is prohibited.
This site may not be duplicated in any way without consent.
Copyright © 2016~2017 by Ohio AHGP