First Houses, Mills, Store in Tuscarawas County

The first buildings erected in the present county of Tuscarawas were, so far as known, as follows:

1760, Thomas Calhoun, trader's house, on the west bank of the Tuscarawas, near Bolivar

1701, Christian Post's dwelling house, on the east bank of the Tuscarawas, near Bolivar

1763, James O'Harn's trader house, on the east bank of the Tuscarawas, near Bolivar

1772, David Zeisberger's mission houses, on the east bank of the Tuscarawas, at Schoenbrunn

1773, John Christian Roth, and others, houses at Gnadenhutten

1774, James Campbell and others, tracer house, at present New Comerstown

1770, D. Zeisberger and others, houses on the west bank of the Tuscarawas, New Schoenbrunn

1780, J, Heckewelder and others, houses on the west bank of the Tuscarawas, at Salem

1796, Charles Stevens, settler, in the present township of Fairfield

1797, C. Clewell and John Carr and others, at present Gnadenhutten

1798, Mortimer Benger and others, dweller's at Goshen

1707, Jacob Bush, Paul Greer, Peter Edmonds, Ezra and Peter Warner, and others of the settlers

1700, David Peter opened a store at Gnadenhutten for Jacob Recksecker and H. Bollinger brought teams with goods for the store

1800, Lewis Huebner, pastor's house and Beesheba church, on the west side of the river, near lock number seventeen

1804, John Kinsey and George Stiffer built near New Philadelphia

1805, Philip Menech built on the present Gooden farm

1805, John Hull built the first house in New Philadelphia

1807, Jacob Uhrich built the first mid (water) at Uhrichville

1772, '73 - '74, the first horse-mills were put up in by the missionaries

1807, the first tavern built in New Philadelphia was by Leninger

The first Still House in the county was put up by Gabriel Cryder, on the west side of the Tuscarawas, about equal distant between New Philadelphia and Dover

A Mr. Vanrouff built the first ark, or grain-boat, at the canal at Dover; George Sluthour did the carpenter work.

1823, Amos St. Clair built the first bridge across the river, at Dover

Online Resources | Ohio AHGP

Source: Ohio Annals, Historic Events, Tuscarawas and Muskingum Valleys, The State of Ohio, Edited by C. H. Mitchener, 1876

 



 

AHGP

Back to AHGP

Copyright August © 2011 - 2017 AHGP AHGP The American History and Genealogy Project.
Enjoy the work of our webmasters, provide a link, do not copy their work

This web page was last updated.
2014